Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Self.Love.

People love to read about themselves. They love to hear their own voices, see their faces on TV, no matter the reason, as insignificant as their notable contribution may be, people will put life on hold for those few shiny seconds to see their name, face, and story in lights.. metaphorically speaking. I know this because I am the worst of them. I often will look at my reflection in windows as I pass by, look for myself in pictures of a crowd I know I was in, and can remember being on local news when I was a kid because i made a bottle rocket or something that seemed quite important at the time.

I love to read but mostly because I love the sense of accomplishment I feel after finishing an entire book, rarely can I recant the book if its not fiction, unless I did an in-depth study of it. Why do I love myself so much? I am not the smartest, prettiest, kindest, or most unique person I know, I do have many redeeming qualities but nothing of any notable superiority to anyone else's. So how can I make sure this self-love doesn't evolve into self-obsession? So many powerful evils are birthed from great people who once they realize they're great consider themselves superior and all of what made them great seems to get lost in the things that make them ruthless.

Greed, conceit, pride, envy, all these evils grow without humility. Who keeps us in check? And how can I get over myself for one day to care about others more than myself?

No comments: